I'm on a roll, so butter me

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I love food in little teigtacshen



Last week I ate a lot of things in teigtaschen ("dough pockets" in German) and i gotta say it is just a really enjoyable way to eat food. Russian Pelmini, Mexican Quesadillas, and Korean Mandu are all different types of what you might call a dumpling. I ate all of these last week and I realize they are all really nice wintertime snacks or starters because the dough locks in heat so well, they can sit out for several minutes but still be steaming hot inside when you break into them. Plus its fun to eat little thangs like that. I mean I would definitely enter a Gyoza eating contest if I could find one, and do you remember Tortellini being your favorite pasta when you were a kid? I do.

Anyway Russian Pelmini are, I guess, in the 'family' of dumplings that might either be called pierogi or include pierogi. Basically they are just like pierogi. My friend recently had a bunch of people over and she made Borscht and pelmini, but I got to help with the pelmini and now I can leak Russian secrets to all my readership in the USA. So, here's how you make them lil Russkie goodies:

For the Dough:
Well basically this was an internet recipe affair I think, so the dough was a ratio type thing. I'd say for every one egg, you would need about 2 cups of flour and a half cup of milk and about a quarter cup of water and a tablespoon of salt. Simply combining these in a mixing bowl and kneading until the dough is mixed and elastic is sufficient, but you may want to wisk together the egg, liquid, and salt together first and then gradually knead that into the flour. Then you should have more flour handy to heavily flour a working surface, then roll out the dough (not necessarily all at once) until its like Charmin ultra-strong thin (or thick, rather). Then you can use a coffee mug as like a cookie cutter or at least a form, running a knife around the rim to cut circles out of the dough, which you will fill with...

For the filling:
2/3 pounds or 300 g Ground beef
One medium white onion chopped
One clove of garlic minced
Some parsley dude
Some salt
An egg might be cool, at least I think so.

Anyway mix all that shit up. Then you take your little circle and put less filling in there than you think cuz you'll probably fuck it up. Then fold the dough over and using the the tips of a fork's tines pinch the edges together and you've got a little dough pocket! My friend had this tool for making pelmeni, you can see it in this picture right next to the red bowl. You just sit the dough in there and put some filling in and then fold the thingy and it would make perfect dumplings. I want one. Did I remember you want to set some water to boiling before starting this whole filling business? Whoops. Well, once you have a pot of water finally going, you can just drop these cute puppies right in and when they floatin they done! Enjoy them with Creme Fraiche and Fresh dill, or fresh cream and dill fraiche.

No comments:

Post a Comment