I'm on a roll, so butter me

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

NAW














One time I saw a license plate that said "OHALENA" - this burnt egg made me think of it.


I love Korean food. It's my favorite. Every since I used to have the luxury of getting my mind blown three days a week by this place in Richmond, I've been a Koko fiend. Korean food has definitely come up as far as food trendiness, with David Chang's Momofuku Empire at the forefront. So far in Berlin I've managed to eat at one Korean Restaurant that for some reason fronts as a Sushi spot. I don't think they know what they are sitting on, the Korean food here is quite good, good enough to sustain a restaurant, one would think. Although I don't think there is any other Sushi on Oderberger Str., a popular shop/eat/cafe street in Berlin.
But I digress.
Hipster Korean has hit Berlin, and while I'm cool with that (a man could waste a whole life getting pissed about trendy assholes bringing or getting brought by their trendy Asian girlfriends to hip Asian restaurants) mostly because it means more Korean for me, I gotta say these fools got a lot too cocky wit it, and think they can get away with it.
Granted I caught this place in its relatively nascent period (first day open) I could just tell it was built as a self-indulgent playground couched in a false air of uniqueness. That being said, because I don't want to seem like some out of control hater pre-judging based on the hip factor, the food was slaaaaack. Firstly, the portion size was way small for how much it cost, my side order of Kimchi cost 2.50 euro and it must have been about 1/8 oz. The bibimbap didn't really fill me up neither. That being said it was all tasty but there was one fatal error that I consider inexcusable:

Now, the food took about 50 minutes to get out to us, but hey, first day kinks being worked out, they looked pretty busy, that I can handle. But when my food did arrive, looking very appetizing though a touch paltry, I dug in to find that my fried egg had been burned. Now, one of the joys of bibimbap is stirring everything up and letting that yolk ooze out and mingle with a bit of everything. However, while looking somehow nice on the top, which I suppose made the dish presentable, the bottom was burnt (as shown) and tasted like fucking charcoal, and with no yolk ooze to speak of. Well damn. I understand if you are rushed and busy, but frying an egg properly takes 30 seconds, and an egg costs fucking 10 cents. Throw that shit out and cook another one. Daaaaaaaaayum.

5 comments:

  1. All the Korea's I worked with/for at broadway market said Mama's was over-saturated garbage, I mean they had NOTHING good to say about it, which really blacked me out. even with all the years I lived in the ROC I've never been, so I gots NO muthafakkin opinion, just thought I'd let you know what my co-workers had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually heard this a lot from 2nd generation Korean-Americans about Mama's kitchen. I think for them it boils down to a my mom vs. your mom type deal because Mama just cooks like she's cooking for her children. I know I just loved it. And a few people I know can agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as in two of the three other people that read this blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah mama's is the shit. and i feel like if i had the flu, i could just ride my bike over there and she'd make me some soup and probably bring me a blanket to sit under while i watch asian rom-coms with her husband(?)
    i don't get the flu though cause i stay away from kids at all times. moot point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luv Mama's. She made birthday cakes for Joey and I and her kimchi game is tight.

    ReplyDelete